Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Matched: Review

Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Series: Matched #1
Pages: 366

Summary:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


My Thoughts:

First off I just wanted to say that I was really drawn to the cover of this book. I thought it was absolutely stunning. This book was on my To Be Read List and I saw it at the library and thought I would pick it up! I really wasn't sure what I would think of this novel because it seems like people either love or hate it and I had read a lot of negative reviews on it.

I actually really did enjoy this book but to be honest I don't think I have ever read a Dystopian novel before so I really didn't have anything to compare it to. So that may have altered my opinion a bit compared to others who have read tons of that genre and have a lot more experience with it and may be expecting more. I didn't really have any expectations for this book since I have read nothing like it.

I did think that the book was kind of dry to begin with but I felt more sucked into it the farther I got in. I did feel like Cassia was sort of selfish and felt bad for Xander and I had a hard time "feeling" the relationships between Cassia, Xander, and Ky. I also thought that the Society should have been explained a little better and maybe have some background information on it. For example why was it the way it was, how it started, and what it was like outside of the Society.

On the other hand I did think that the Society was interesting. The way they choose what you wear, who you are with, what you eat, how long you live, what job you have, etc. fascinated me. I just love being able to be sucked into a world that is completely different from ours and all of the freedoms we have in our lives.

I think that I will see if the library has the sequel to this and find out if it explains more or gets any better. Have you read this book? What were your thoughts? I would love to read your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!