Monday, June 10, 2013

Paranormalcy: Review

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)


Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Paranormalcy #1
Pages: 335
 
Summary:
 
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. (Goodreads)
 
My Thoughts:
 
Evie was a foster child until the IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency) took her in at a very young age. Living in the Center is the only life she's ever really known. She is able to see through glamours, but other than that she had always considered herself a "normal" girl. Evie discovers that there are some secrets that the IPCA has been keeping from her and the whole idea that she is normal is turned upside down.
 
One of the things that I enjoyed about this book is the huge variety of Paranormal types. There are fairies, water elementals, hags, vampires, mermaids, werewolves, etc. It isn't just about one type. This book truly is YA. It's one of the few books that are considered YA that appeal specifically to that age group and is totally and completely appropriate for people of that age. The romance in this book isn't hot and steamy, it's typical teenage stuff. This did kind of make it difficult for me to relate to since I am older but I think that it's great for younger people.
 
One thing that I really liked about Evie was her sarcasm and wit. She was always saying something funny. She's also always ready to fight, she isn't scared and weak. This book isn't as dark and heavy as most paranormal books. It's really cute. The things that Evie really wants and gets excited about are things such as getting a license or having a locker at school. It would totally make her life if she would just get to experience prom. So if you are looking for something a bit lighter, you may want to consider this one. I really did enjoy reading this book, I just couldn't relate that well. I would really like to read the next book in this series but it won't kill me if I don't.
 
* I borrowed this book from the library.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too! Evie's humor was the big draw, I love sarcastic wit. I agree with you that it is a cute and fun book, but not one that I would count as a favorite. I did recently read the second book in the series recently and didn't enjoy it nearly as much so I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That sucks! It makes me wonder if I want to even take the time to read the second one. . .

      Delete
  2. Good review! Not quite my genre, though...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!