Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Peach Keeper: Review

The Peach Keeper
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Publisher: Bantam
Pages: 273
The Peach Keeper
Summary:

In Sarah Addison Allen's riveting novel, The Peach Keeper, an abandoned mansion known affectionately as "the Madam" still presides over a small North Carolina logging town with majesty and pride. Willa Jackson's grandmother, whose family bitterly lost the grand house to the wealthier Osgoods many years back, has told her it is haunted. And Willa, who leads a quiet life running a cafe in town, is inclined to agree. But Paxton Osgood changes everything when she digs up the Madam's old peach tree and finds buried beneath it a suitcase, a battered fedora . . . and a skull. A murder investigation is soon underway, and the truth could threaten the growing relationship between Willa and Paxton and destroy the reputations of all those they hold dear . . . .

My Thoughts:

This story is about four adults who are reunited many years after hight school. When a skull is found buried under a peach tree, it threatens to uncover many family secrets. Willa and Paxton wonder what really happened when their grandmothers were younger and what they were involved with.

I saw this book at a garage sale this past summer and decided to just pick it up. I'm a sucker for books, anywhere I go I just have to buy them!! The one thing that I really didn't understand about this story was why these grown adults (30 year olds) were still so concerned about things that happened when they were in high school. I'm only 22 but I rarely ever think about all the high school drama that I had to deal with. So while I can't really relate to that part of the story, I still enjoyed reading this book.

From time to time throughout this book, mostly in the beginning, I found myself feeling a little bored. Once I got further into the book I started to enjoy it a little more. This book was a nice, light read and also very quick. It has friends, romance, and a little bit of mystery thrown in there. So in the end I did enjoy this book. What is my favorite book? No! Would I consider reading more by this author? Yes I would! So if you think that this may be something you would be interested in reading, I would suggest checking to see if it's available at your library or borrow it from a friend.

Have you read this book or any others by this author? Let me know if you know of any good books by Sarah Addison Allen so I can check them out!

24 comments:

  1. The cover is simply amazing! At first I thought it might be a novel set in Japan... because they have this tradition with peach flowers. Then I noticed the girl is blonde. :)
    It sounds like a nice, relaxing read. I do agree with you that it's not quite normal for 30 year olds to still be concerned about what happened in high school. I mean, I couldn't care less about high school. Maybe faculty...? But that's just because it's recent. I'll change my mind in a couple of years.
    I'll check this book out. Seems perfect for a rainy day. Maybe because of the warmth that the cover conveys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I liked the cover too! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like an intriguing read, but I'm not sure it would be my cup of tea. Mostly because my father was from North Carolina and I lived there for a while. Not all associations are pleasant ones for me. But I can see why the characters would be hung up on the history of the families and the scandal that could tear the town apart. Communities seem to be a bit more close knit in the south and a scandal could ruin people's lives.
    Thanks for the review!
    I'm now a new follower and thanks for taking the time to stop by my page. I'll be looking forward to your frothcoming reviews.
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm from Florida originally so I know what you mean. Our family is really close. Thanks for following, it's much appreciated! :)

      Delete
  3. It seems like a nice book, will check it out sometime. Thanks for stopping by on my page and becoming a follower. Now I am following you too, looking forward to your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will head over to your blog right now! :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Garden Spells. I think that's the only one of hers I've read. Enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about that one! I'll have to find it and check it out! :)

      Delete
  6. I really like your review :)
    I never read any of her books,
    but I'm going to check them out!

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of her, but the plot sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of her either before this book.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, very nice review! This book sounds really interesting and I'm a sucker for anything set in a small town. I am on the same page as you - I have to buy books everywhere! Garage sales and thrift stores are my favorite places to get books, actually... I feel like they have a lot more character that way :)

    Best,
    Danielle
    http://thereaderscommute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about this book, and I don't think I know the writer, but I love your review and I'm curious about the book (and I love the cover too).
    I posted about your giveaway on my blog, hope you don't mind, and I hope it brings you more visitors ;)

    LadyBug
    http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review!

    Lauren
    http://lrjohnson13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whilst I liked this book, it was actually my least favourite SAA! You have such a treat in store if you go back to read her earlier books!

    Marlene Detierro (Eureka Joe's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check them out! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

I love your comments!