Monday, September 23, 2013

The Host: Review

1656001

The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Series: The Host #1
Pages: 619

Summary:

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.
(Goodreads)


My Thoughts:

Earth has been taken over by a species of aliens called "Souls" who take over the minds of humans and live inside their bodies. Wanderer is put inside of Melanie's body but Melanie refuses to leave. They are stuck sharing the same body. Wanderer starts to care about the people who are most important to Melanie, her brother Jamie and the man she loves, Jared. Together they begin to search for them.

Let me start off by saying NO, I have never read Twilight. I know, it's crazy. So I didn't have any expectations coming into this book. It took me awhile to finally start this book. There are a lot of mixed reviews on this book. Half of them love it and half of them hate it. Plus it's 600 pages long and that's a lot of time to waste if the book is not good. My mom tried to read it but gave up within the first few chapters but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I'm actually glad I did. I'll admit during the first few chapters I was thinking to myself, "What the hell am I reading?!?!" But after that I was hooked.

The world that Meyer has created is so complex and has a lot of background to explain, there is a lot of story to be told. Did it have to be so long? I'm not sure. I don't know how it would have affected the story had parts of it been trimmed out. I really don't want to give too much away that's not in the book summary so I won't go into too much detail. I really liked this book but it's definitely strange and not a world I would want to live in, no matter how interesting.

My recommendation would be to borrow this one from the library if you can. Give it anywhere between 50-100 pages before you give up on it. You may love it, you may not, but I really enjoyed it. Have you read this book? If so, what are your thoughts? What about Twilight, did you love it or hate it? Should I read it?  

*I borrowed this book from the library.

ADD IT ON GOODREADS
AUTHOR'S GOODREADS
AUTHOR'S WEBSITE
GET A COPY

1 comment:

  1. A good review.

    I've heard of it, obviously, but I have not read it. Since she wrote Twilight, this book would have that guilt by association thing going on for it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!