Monday, August 27, 2012

A Wedding in December: Review

A Wedding in December
Author: Anita Shreve
Publisher: Back Bay Books
Pages: 325

Summary:

At an inn in the Berkshire Mountains, seven former schoolmates gather to celebrate a wedding - a reunion that becomes the occasion of astonishing revelations as the friends collectively recall a long-ago night that indelibly marked each of their lives. Written with the fluent narrative artistry that distinguishes all of Anita Shreve's best selling novels, A Wedding in December acutely probes the mysteries of the human heart and the endless allure of paths not taken.


My Thoughts:

It was really hard for me to get into this story and I found the writing style confusing at times. The story often switched characters and also switches from past and present. I didn’t really know who to root for in this book. The summary of this novel sounded intriguing to me and I’ve heard a lot of people praising Anita Shreve’s writing, so I truly though that I would enjoy this book. I didn’t really understand what the point of the book was and what I took from it was that it’s okay to be unfaithful to your spouse as long as it makes you happy in the end. *Which I don’t agree with.* I found it disturbing that almost all of the characters in this book were involved in affairs at one point or another. There was also supposed to be a long-ago night that marked each of their lives, and this didn’t really seem that important in the story like the summary made it out to be. There was also a story within the story which was somewhat interesting, although I’m not sure of the relationship it has with the original storyline. I don’t believe it would have affected the story if it would have been removed. I also found the ending to be abrupt and I feel that it left many questions unanswered. Maybe it’s just me but I like to *know* what happens. So all-in-all I wouldn’t recommend this book unless you are just looking for something to pass the time. I didn’t hate reading this book but I do feel that it could have been *much* better. I may attempt another Shreve book in the future.

Have you read this book? What were your thoughts on it? Have you read any other Anita Shreve novels? I would love to read your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!